After 4 weeks of working on other peoples balloons I finally got a full day to work on my own. I cant explain how frustrating it was to see all my fabric sitting in a pile on the shelf for nearly 30 days and wanting to get at least one panel sewn together. I'm a fairly patient person, but when I start a project it is all I ever think about and all I ever want to work on. My patience was definitely tested. Although I didn't get anything done on my own balloon over the last month, I did get to make a little artwork for a customer (along with my boss Gayle Stroble and her sister Debbie). Check out this beautiful logo we made for our friends Mike and Jennifer Parks!
I had already cut out the diamonds from the colored fabric last month. My first goal was to get them sewn in so I would have a complete panel #3. I have completed all but three. There is a slight difference in elasticity the dark grey and the colors which made sewing the first few a little difficult. After I figured out the way each fabric reacted to stretching, they went in pretty easy. Here is a picture of my first complete diamond (which will actually be my outer turning vent).
I absolutely LOVE the color contrast! The green looks just as amazing.
I am still recording every working minute of my progress and will make a second sample time lapse video once the sewing is done. I took a few pictures of the shop after I was done sewing in the majority of the diamonds... I took over a few baskets and envelope bags....
I decided to make my turning vents as simple to install (and repair) as possible. Here is a diagram of what I came up with. The outer turning vent will simply overlap the inner. The entire vent will be properly reinforced with load tapes where they are needed.