Friday, June 24, 2011

Parachute Design & First "Problem" of the Build

This post will be short and sweet.
Progress: Almost completed sewing the #3 panel to the 4-5 panels.

I ran into a little problem with panels not fitting together properly. The old saying "Measure twice, cut once" has struck another victim. All of the tops of my panel #3's are nearly an inch too long. Luckily I was able to remeasure and trim the panels, but it took a long time to drag them out and fix 32 of them... live and learn...

On a better note, I now have a design for my parachute! My boss has been one of the biggest influences in my life. She got me into ballooning at 15 years old, taught me everything about repairing balloons and became more of a mother than my employer. I gave her free reign to design the parachute as long as it incorporated a single large cherry (My wonderful girlfriends last name is Cherry) somewhere on it. Well...she finally got around to sketching a few options for me and this is what I chose...

The colors will tie in the diamonds on the diamonds beautifully. I don't think the hand drawing or the Microsoft Paint drawing do the design justice. The cherry will be fully inlaid into the fabric so that the cherry will be visible from inside and outside the balloon.

That's it for now! More pics will be posted as soon as I finish sewing the 3,4&5 panels.

No comments:

Post a Comment