Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Slow and Steady

This is one of the biggest projects I have ever attempted in my life. When I was 16 years old I built a 1928 Ford Model A rolling chassis and completed a good amount of the body work as well. That project started off as two halves of a bare frame and a rusted out body. I spent countless hours working in the garage on the project and loved every minute of it. Around age 19 I bought a 1968 rag-top Camaro. The car ran (barely) and was in rough shape all around. In 2 weeks I tore the whole car down in my dads back yard (he loved that). Over the next 3 months I completed some engine work, replaced the transmission, installed an aftermarket air conditioning kit, replaced the interior, installed a stereo system, new suspension bushings, shocks and tires etc....My point is that I would get obsessed with my projects. I would often rush through the work so I could enjoy the finished product. This isn't to say I sacrificed quality to finish faster...just... it never occurred to me that I should slow down and enjoy my work. This balloon build has been different. I have enjoyed every moment of this project. Maybe it's because I haven't done anything like it before or maybe it's because I have a true passion for anything and everything ballooning. Either way, I am extremely excited the closer I get to having completed my first experimental hot air balloon.

I have completed quite a bit of work this week. More than I was expecting. As of today I have 16 individual gores completed! Having the gores laid out on the floor gave me a real sense of what this balloon is going to look like. Here are a few pictures of me sewing the half gores together and the completed pink and green gores.


70 feet of sewing....

Completed pinks!

Completed green!

And here is my completed gore piles. 8 green, 8 pink....

While I have been working on the balloon, my boss and our trainee built me a flag for the chase vehicle.





That's it for now! Sometime next week I will update with my progress of building my turning vent and assembling the balloon. Check back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment