Tuesday, February 21, 2012

"A face to the Name"

The title of this post may seem a bit unusual...but it fits this stage of my build perfectly. For the longest time I have had idea after idea on what the frame would end up looking like. I felt like I had built a sort of bond with a few of these ideas. Silly, yes I know. However, I knew the ins and outs of the frame but I had never actually seen. Well, Sunday that all changed. The clouds parted, the sun came out and work got done!

I arrived at 11am and was pleased to find Hans Paulson fully prepared to start working. Hans is a great guy. He has been building race cars since the early 70's and is very skilled in metal fabrication of all types. Bending metal happens to be one of the skills. I stopped counting the various sizes and types of dies he had on ONE of his racks. He even made some of them himself. Pretty impressive!

We got to work as soon as I was finished drooling over his tool collection. Han's took the time to set up the 1.5" die while I snapped a quick picture of our work area. You can see my mock-up frame to the right.
Han's making the first bend. I wish someone had taken a picture of me because I was so excited to have this all start to come together!
 First bend!
Working quick to the next bend

 One side almost done

Matching sides

More bending
One side complete!
At this point in the day I felt like I would blink and Han's had already finished the next few steps. Here he is bending the second side.
Two sides!
A couple more bending pics

Halfway through bending the front frame/seat frame
A few more bends...

Three of the frame pieces

Now to the welding. Once again, I was blown away at how talented Hans is. He had the frame pieces notched and welded faster than I could hand them to him! Plus the welds were beautiful!

Unfortunately my battery died and I was unable to take pictures of the front two vertical pieces being made and welded. When I got home I charged it and took a few photos of the finished frame (minus brackets etc.)

I got home much earlier than planned and decided to add a few of the gussets. I pulled out the tubing notcher and cranked out 4 gussets out of 3/4" tubing.

I plan on working more on the frame this Thursday and on the weekend. Expect more frequent updates now that I have the ability to work from my own garage again.

I am still waiting on my fan shroud to be made. Pictures will be posted as soon as I pick it up and install it.

I leave you all with two last photos to give you a better idea of what the whole thing will look like.

No comments:

Post a Comment